Check out these 13 most popular Christmas songs (and 3 free downloads) from our staff.
In a blog post last week about Christmas programs, I told you how I’m already hearing Christmas songs on the radio. Well, since then, a blanket of snow covered our area, and maybe I’m just dreaming of a white Christmas, but that has really put me in the Christmas music mood.
Take an extra $5 off the already discounted rate!
$5 OFF: CHILDREN'S MINISTRY MAGAZINE
Subscribe now or renew now and get a 1-year subscription for only $19.
For fun, I asked some of my co-workers here in Group’s children’s ministry department what some of their favorite Christmas songs are. Fair warning, the survey was totally unscientific, so don’t use the results in a term paper or anything. Here are some of the honorable mentions:
- A Holly Jolly Christmas
- 12 Days of Christmas-My good friend Keith points out that the Muppets’ version of this song is best.
- Blue Christmas
- Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer-I’m actually banned from singing this in front of my grandparents.
- White Christmas
- Mary, Did You Know-Written by one of my favorite funny guys, Mark Lowry. I mentioned him in a previous blog.
- O Come, All Ye Faithful
- Relient K’s “I Celebrate the Day”-The lyrics kind of speak for the song and why I love it. It’s so honest. This one goes on repeat for me a lot during the Christmas season.
- Winter Wonderland
And now our winners. Here are the most popular Christmas songs (at least according to my co-workers):
- 4th place: Carol of the Bells
- 3rd place: The Little Drummer Boy-“I just remember listening to this song throughout my childhood and it’s now a favorite in my family home. We get so wrapped up in what to give for Christmas and this little boy somehow knew he wanted to give the best of himself. What a great message.” Marci S.
- 2nd place: Silent Night-“This is one of my favorite Christmas songs because it brings back such fond memories of the many Christmas days I’ve had in life.” Donna L.
- 1st place: O Holy Night-“I like it because it’s so beautifully written and talks about our dear Savior’s birth. The reason we celebrate Christmas!” Rochelle D.
I love the wide variety of Christmas music that’s out there. You have the classics, the carols, the ones just for fun, and the ones that share the good news of Jesus. Hearing my kids sing their favorite Christmas classics is one of my favorite things about the holiday season.
If you happen to be looking for some Christmas music for your kids, check this out: Here are three free classic Christmas songs that you can download right now. They come in the MP3 format, so you can play them anywhere using an MP3 player or easily burn them to CDs.
I want to know what your favorite Christmas songs are. What songs do your kids enjoy singing? Share with us using the comment section below!