Use this Elementary Sunday School Lesson: Valentine’s Day to teach children grades 1-3 to show love to others because God loved us first. Find more great Sunday school lessons to help kids grow in their faith.
Elementary Valentine’s Day Sunday School Lesson
1. Together Again
Form pairs and tie partners’ legs together. Then have pairs put on a large T-shirt. One at a time, have pairs race to the middle of the room to a wastebasket and balls. Have partners keep one arm around the other partner’s waist, pick up a ball, and shoot a basket together. Then have them race back to the starting line. As each pair reaches the finish line, cheer for them.
- What was easy about this race? difficult?
- What things did you have to share?
- Which things were easy to share? difficult?
If there’s time, switch partners and race again.
2. Shared Treasures
Lay things such as money, candy, a shirt, or a special toy on a table.
- If all the things on this table were yours, what would you be most willing to share with someone else? Why?
- What would be the hardest thing to share? Why?
- Can you think of other things that you would have a hard time sharing?
Have children draw on paper hearts something Jesus has shared with them.
3. Stuck on You
- How did it feel to get a sticker? to not get a sticker?
- When you’re left out, how do you feel?
- How does it feel when friends won’t share with you?
- How does Jesus want us to treat the people we love?
Give everyone a sticker.
4. Love Project
Have children think of something they could do before class is over to show love to one person in your congregation. It could be your pastor or a young child. Have children plan their project and how they’ll carry it out before class is over. Then carry out your love project and return to your room.
- A prepared cake mix,
- powdered sugar,
- frosting in a tube,
- and strawberry preserves.
Spoon cake batter into muffin cups, filling each half full. Spoon 1 teaspoon of preserves into the center of each cupcake. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 25 minutes.Dust each cupcake with powdered sugar. Makes 12.
Have children each use frosting in a tube to put a cross on their cupcake. Remind children as they enjoy their snack that we can only love people the way God wants when Christ is hidden in our hearts—like the preserves are hidden in their cupcakes.