This children’s message and object lesson, Mix It Up, teaches children that everyone in your church is an ingredient to your church’s success.
Theme: The church
Text: 1 Corinthians 12:12-31
- Cookie dough in a bowl,
- a cup of flour,
- an egg,
- a large spoon, and
- a plastic spoon for each child.
Children’s Message and Object Lesson: Mix It Up
Say: Who’d like to eat these ingredients? Hold up the flour and egg.
- What other ingredients do these ingredients need to make them taste better? Kids may answer chocolate chips, sugar or vanilla.
- How can these ingredients become something that tastes better?
Say: These ingredients need to be mixed up with other ingredients to taste better.
Read the scripture.
Say: Turn to a partner and tell your partner one good ingredient he or she has that makes our church “taste better,” such as a sweet smile or a great voice. Give kids one minute.
- What would happen if we left out an ingredient from our recipe?
- What would happen if one of us wasn’t mixed into our church?
As you give each child a spoonful of cookie dough, say things such as: You’re an important ingredient in our church. Our church is a better place because you’re mixed into it.
Pray: Father, thank you for all the unique and wonderful children who make a great recipe for our church.
Michigan City, Indiana
For even more great object lesson ideas like this, subscribe today to Children’s Ministry Magazine!