Have your elementary and preteen students create their own scratchboard pictures while learning about Mark 4:21-23.
Elementary + Preteen Craft: Scratchboard Pictures
- Heavy paper,
- pastel crayons,
- black poster paint,
- bent paper clips or nails,
- dish soap,
- paintbrushes, and
Mix a drop of soap into each small dish of black paint. Set out the supplies. Have kids color your entire paper with crayons. Make sure they’re creating a thick layer of crayon as they color.
Once the coloring is complete, paint black poster pain all over the layer of crayons. Let the paint dry.
Once the paint is dry, scratch a picture into the black painted surface with a bent paper clip or nail. The beautiful colors underneath will show through!
Read aloud Mark 4:21-23.
- What do you think Jesus meant by “hidden” things?
- How will Jesus help us see those hidden things?
- Is the black picture like or unlike not knowing everything Jesus wants us to know? How so?
- How is our scratched picture like or unlike knowing everything Jesus
wants us to know?
- How can we be better listeners to learn from Jesus?