Did you know that second Sunday in September is Grandparents Day? Probably not because according to a 2010 survey, 66 percent of grandparents have never celebrated their day. But we’re on a mission to celebrate the oldest and wisest members of our families!
There are a growing number of kids living with their grandparents. According to the 2010 census, 7.5 million kids live with their grandparents. Breaking it down, that’s 1 in 10 of all children in the U.S.
Grandparents are special people. Because I was fortunate enough to grow up just a few minutes from my grandparents, they remain two of the strongest examples of God’s love that I have seen in my life.
So, in honor of Grandparents Day, here are some quotes about the parents of parents.
6 Quotes Celebrating Grandparents Day
1. “Because [grandparents] are usually free to love and guide and befriend the young without having to take daily responsibility for them, they can often reach out past pride and fear of failure and close the space between generations.”-President Jimmy Carter
2. “Nobody can do for little children what grandparents do. Grandparents sort of sprinkle stardust over the lives of little children.” -Alex Haley
3. “What children need most are the essentials that grandparents provide in abundance. They give unconditional love, kindness, patience, humor, comfort, lessons in life. And, most importantly, cookies.” -Rudolph Giuliani
4. “If grandmas hadn’t existed, kids would have inevitably invented them.” -Dr. Arthur Kornhaber
5. “If God had intended us to follow recipes, he wouldn’t have given us grandmothers.” -Linda Henley
6. “Grandparents, like heroes, are as necessary to a child’s growth as vitamins.” – Joyce Allston
Recognize Grandparent’s Day
According to the Bible, in Proverbs 17:6, it says, “Grandchildren are the crowning glory of the aged.”
This Sunday, consider doing something to celebrate Grandparents Day. Invite them to join their grandkids for the kids’ service. Help the kids make cards with their own quotes on them. Help kids understand their family better by making a family tree. Above all else, make the grandparents in your church feel loved. But of course, whatever you do, always be sensitive to your kids’ individual situations (for example, a recent loss of a grandparent).
Looking for more ideas for Grandparent’s Day? We have you covered!