According to military.com, “The simplest thing you can do to explain and honor this holiday with your children is to spend time talking to them about what Memorial Day means to you. Take the day to talk & reflect on the subject of those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice.” With Memorial Day around the corner, we thought it would be nice to share some quotes with you about the day of remembrance.
1. “A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” – Joseph Campbell
2. “These fallen heroes represent the character of a nation who has a long history of patriotism and honor-and a nation who has fought many battles to keep our country free from threats of terror.” – Michael N. Castle
3. “It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” -
General George S. Patton
Kids LOVE these Sunday School resources!
4. “This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.” – Elmer Davis
5.“We come, not to mourn our dead soldiers but to praise them.” – Francis A. Walker
6. “Although no sculptured marble should rise to their memory, nor engraved stone bear record of their
deeds, yet will their remembrance be as lasting as the land they honored.” – Daniel Webster
7. “There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” (John 15:13) -Jesus
Also, make sure to check out Group’s Seasonal Specials for Children’s Ministry for even more great Memorial Day
ideas. Containing devotions, crafts, games, snacks, skits, songs, and outreach-this resource will equip you with everything you need for a meaningful Memorial Day service. The activities in this book will help kids reflect on and honor those who’ve dies to protect them-including Jesus.
What are you planning to do for Memorial Day? Share with us using the comment section below.