Use this Sunday school lesson to teach preteens about God and Abraham. Find more great Sunday school lessons to help kids grow in their faith.
Preteen Sunday School Lesson: God and Abraham
Form groups of no more than four. Give each group a sheet of paper and a pencil. Have groups each create a loyalty test to prove if someone is loyal or not.
Afterward have a willing child read aloud Genesis 22:1-19.
- How do your loyalty tests compare to the loyalty test God gave Abraham?
- Why did God test Abraham’s loyalty?
- How did Abraham know that God would provide an animal for the sacrifice?
- Did God want Isaac to die? Why or why not?
- How does God test your loyalty?
Abraham and the Lamb Craft
Have kids glue a cotton-ball half to the end of a whole cotton ball so it resembles a sheep’s body and head. Then have kids glue two wiggle eyes to the head. Finally, glue the sheep to one end of a paper strip to form a bookmark. Have children each list on the bookmark things and ways God has provided for them.
- Ricotta cheese (or goat cheese),
- dried fruit and
- blunt knives.
Tell children they’re going to enjoy a snack that Abraham and Isaac may’ve eaten on their journey. Pretend that the ricotta cheese is goat’s cheese. Have kids gather around the food and serve one another goat’s cheese on crackers and dried fruit.
Contributors: Nancy Paulson, Cindy Newell, Heather Ward, Walter Norvell