Use this children’s message: Sin Hurts to help children understand the consequences of sin and how God forgives.
Theme: Jesus’ forgiveness
Text: 1 John 1:8-9
- a marble for each child and
- a Bible.
Children’s Message: The Consequences of Sin and God’s Forgiveness
Have each child put a marble in his or her shoe. For the next two minutes, have children walk around your room. The children will naturally complain about the pain, but don’t let them remove the marbles.
Have the children sit in a circle. Read 1 John 1:8.
- How does the marble in your shoe feel now?
- In what ways is sin like or unlike having a marble in your shoe?
Say: Take the marble from your shoe and drop it in the middle of our circle as you name a sin, such as stealing or lying. Allow time. Read 1 John 1:9. Put all the marbles in your shoes and stand up. Jesus can forgive our sins because he once held them all. When Jesus died on the cross, he took your sin and my sin, and he felt our pain. He loved us so much that he died to forgive our sins.
Remove the marbles from your shoes and sit down.
- What did you think when I put your marbles in my shoes? Explain.
- How is what I did like or unlike what Jesus did for us on the cross?