Use this Children’s Message: Christmas Quiet to help kids focus on the real meaning of Christmas.
Truth: It is good to pray in silence and stillness — Even during the excitement of Christmas.
- CD players,
- three CDs of different styles of Christmas music,
- index cards,
- and a figure of baby Jesus from a crèche scene.
Children’s Message: Christmas Quiet
Have kids sit in a circle. Place the three CD players around the edge of the circle. Pass out index cards and pencils, and invite kids to make lists of what they’d like to get for Christmas. As kids begin to write, play Christmas music on all three CD players with the volume turned as loud as your classroom location will permit.
After about a minute, stop the music, and have kids place their lists and pencils behind them. As you place the figure of baby Jesus in the center of the circle, say: I’d like everyone to be perfectly silent for the next two minutes. You may close your eyes or look at this figure of baby Jesus, but please don’t look at each other until I call time. During this quiet time, please pray and ask God to show you what’s important about this Christmas season.
After two minutes call time and ask:
- You were asked to pray and think about what is important about this season. What would you say that is?
- How was the noise from the cassette or CD players like what happens at Christmastime?
- What have you learned from this experience?
Pray: Dear Lord, it’s so easy to be caught up in noise and confusion and busyness. Help us find time to be quiet this season and to be thankful that you came to earth to be our Savior. Amen.
Check out all these Christmas ideas!