Begin your event with a potluck barbecue. Have someone run in with a torch to light the grill! After eating, let the games begin. Then, with great pomp and circumstance, give ribbons to everyone at the end of the day.
Water Balloon Races
Form teams for these relays.
- Balance balloons on tennis rackets, and race to a turn-around line and back.
- Have each team member race with a water balloon between his or her knees.
- Form pairs. Place a water balloon between partners’ waists, and challenge them to make their way to a line and back without breaking their balloon.
Squirt Bottle Games
Use empty dish detergent bottles for these games:
- Squirt and Fill — Form two teams. Each team stands in a semi-circle and chooses one person to be “It.” It holds a small plastic bowl. Everyone else gets a squirt bottle filled with water. On “go,” each team squirts water into its bowl. The team with the fullest bowl wins.
- Soak Down — Each team uses shaving cream to make a “hat” on one of their teammates. Players stand around this person and wash away the foam with their squirt bottles. The team with the first clean player wins.
- Wacky Volleyball — Use a regular volleyball net or tie a rope across an open area. Swish a trash bag in the air to fill it with air, then close it quickly and tie it with a twist-tie. Use the bag as a volleyball until it deflates, then refill.
- Centipede Obstacle Course — Teams line up, and players place their hands on the waist of the person in front of them. The centipede maneuvers through these obstacles: walk along a 2×4 beam, stomp on balloon “ants,” step over a low fence, and duck under a limbo rod.