Use the pumpkin gospel presentation as a children’s message in big church or your class.
Take an extra $5 off the already discounted rate!
$5 OFF: CHILDREN'S MINISTRY MAGAZINE
Subscribe now or renew now and get a 1-year subscription for only $19.
- Pumpkins — 1 pumpkin with the top already cut open;
- For a large group presentation, precarve 4 pumpkins with different Christian symbols. (You can do simple carvings or find carvings of Jesus on the web. Crosses and hearts, dove, praying hands, etc; save the pumpkin guts to pass out to participants);
- Sharp carving knife;
- Large spoon for scooping out the pumpkin “guts”;
- Bowls — filled with pumpkin guts;
- Wet wipes — one per participant. (divide wipes into several ziplock bags for quick distribution);
- Candles for the pumpkins;
- Matches or butane wand lighter;
- Bible — You might want to ask an assistant to read the verses because your hands will be a mess!!!!
- A worship song to sing as a group.
What to Do:
Say, “A pumpkin is round and shiny on the outside. Its skin is tough and hard to puncture. It looks perfect and wonderful. Sometimes, we pretend that we are all perfect and wonderful.
But we know that’s not true. We have all made mistakes. We have all done bad things, but we keep them hidden inside thinking no one can see past our tough exteriors.
But God knows each one of us from the inside out.”
Psalms 139:1 says “For you have searched me and you know me.”
Take top off the pumpkin & begin scooping out the pumpkin. Collect in the bowl and begin passing the pumpkin guts…
Say, “God loves each one of us, but our SIN ‘the bad things we have done’ make God sad.”
Romans 3:23 says “For everyone has sinned, we all fall short of God’s glorious standard.”
Say, “The slimy inside of the pumpkin reminds me of the bad things we’d done that we keep hidden away inside. As you touch the slimy insides of the pumpkins, think of the wrong things you have done. These things make us feel yucky, don’t they?”
Show the pumpkin guts on your own hands and demonstrate how difficult it is to get off your hands.
Say, “No matter how hard we try, we can’t seem to get rid of those guilty feelings by ourselves. Alone, our SIN keeps a death grip on our lives. I know that when we do bad things, we deserve to be punished, to suffer and pay for our sin.”
Romans 6:23 says, “For the wages of sin is death, (that’s bad news!” BUT there is more…” the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.”
Say, “That is Good News! As we scrape all the slimy stringy stuff way, the pumpkin becomes clean inside.
In the same way, as we tell God we are sorry about, lying, cheating, unkind words we said that hurt others feelings — he forgives us for the wrong things we have done. He can make us clean on the inside.
How is that possible?
God sent his very own son, Jesus, down to earth to tell us how much God loves us and wants to wipe us clean of our sin. That was really good news.”