Preschoolers want to help and giving them Sunday school helper activities is a great way to help with classroom management.
When 3- through 5-year-olds are combined in one class, the older kids may get bored and troublesome. To keep the older kids interested in class activities, I involve them in “helper” activities. This is also a great way to affirm children for a job well done.
I have children do the following:
1. Bible Helper This child brings the Bible from the shelf to group time and holds the Bible while it’s read. Then this child takes the Bible back to its special shelf with great respect.
2. Light Helper This child flashes the lights at transition time to get kids’ attention. Preschoolers love this responsibility!
3. Prayer Helper This child leads the prayer at snack time. If a child doesn’t want to pray aloud, we have the child repeat a simple prayer after us.
4. Snack Helper This child helps serve the snack to the others. This child also helps pick up after the snack. More than one child can have this role each time.
5. Cleanup Helper This child is responsible for reminding kids to throw away any trash and clean up their areas.
KidMin Conference is September 22-24, 2017 in Chicago. Featuring Max Lucado and Mark Batterson. Register BEFORE THIS SUNDAY, AUGUST 20, 2017 save $50!
Don't miss it! There will never be another one like this!
To keep from losing track of who’s had a turn helping, I keep a running chart of each Sunday’s helpers. This alleviates hurt feelings or left-out kids.