When 3- through 5-year-olds are combined in one class, the older kids may get bored and troublesome. To keep the older kids interested in class activities, I involve them in “helper” activities. This is also a great way to affirm children for a job well done.
I have children do the following:
1. Bible Helper brings the Bible from the shelf to group time and holds the Bible while it’s read.
2. Light Helper flashes the lights at transition time to get kids’ attention.
3. Prayer Helper leads the prayer at snack time.
4. Snack Helper helps serve the snack to the others.
5. Cleanup Helper is responsible for reminding kids to throw away any trash and clean up their areas.
To keep from losing track of who’s had a turn helping, I keep a running chart of each Sunday’s helpers. This alleviates hurt feelings or left-out kids.