Use this object lesson to talk with kids about what it means to be like Jesus.
- white vinegar,
- and one teaspoon of each of the following substances in separate baby food jars:
- powdered milk,
- baking soda,
- and plain water.
Be Like Jesus Object Lesson
Say: Jesus showed his followers how to truly “walk the talk” of Christianity by joining together with him. Show the vinegar. This vinegar will represent Jesus’ teachings.
Show kids how each substance reacts with the vinegar, and explain the reactions in order:
- Powdered Milk: Some people curdle like this powdered milk. They complain about how hard it is to follow God and they never grow.
- Baking Soda: Some Christians have lots of fizz when they first hear Jesus’ words, but very little follow-through.
- Oil: Some people never learn how to mix Jesus’ words into their lives.
- Water: But what do you notice about the vinegar mixed with this pure water? Does it look like water or vinegar? (Let the kids smell the solution.) Does it smell like water or vinegar?
Read 1 Corinthians 6:17. The water has become part of the vinegar. In the same way, we can be Christians who become so much like Jesus that people see him when they look at us.
For more great ideas like this in every issue, subscribe today to Children’s Ministry Magazine!