Use these 5 simple ways to help kids grow in their faith.
1. Ask Good Questions Be prepared for the “whys”– the cause-and-effect questions about good and evil and other faith issues. Also, ask more questions than you give answers. This develops a sense of wonder in children. Children’s Ministry Magazine has insights to answer kids’ toughest questions.
2. Age-Appropriateness Always use age-appropriate language. What Bible stories are age-appropriate for kids? Check out The Bible Uncensored: How to Teach Kids.
3. Rituals Expose kids to religious rituals and traditions. You can create rituals in your children’s ministry, but also remember to help children understand your church’s rituals.
4. Acceptance Accept kids’ interpretation of religious concepts without criticism. Many adults who have left the church say that it was because of someone being shocked by what they said as a child.
5. “Everydayness” Make conversations about spiritual matters and Bible content a regular part of your conversations. A great idea is to use God-Sightings — where you and kids look for God at work around you every day, then report those to one another.