12 Days of Christmas
What you'll need for each family; a kit with a penny, paper
clip, used staple, pebble, cotton ball, crumpled paper, heart
sticker, thumbtack, aluminum foil, tissue, rubber band, string, and
the below handout. In addition to the items provided, you'll need
an empty egg carton, wrapping paper, tape, scissors, a permanent
marker, a flashlight, a pen, and a soup can.
- Place each item provided in the kit in its own slot of your
empty egg carton. Cut a small circle of wrapping paper and tape it
over each hole as a cover.
- Tell your child the egg carton is full of items that'll help
your family get to know Jesus, your Savior. Beginning 12 days
before Christmas, have your child choose one of the egg carton
slots to open each day. Your child may remove the paper and
discover the item.
- Read the Scripture below and follow the directions for the item
your child chooses.
- Penny: Read Philippians 4:19. Have family members take
turns naming a need God has supplied. See how long you can go
before you run out of ideas!
- Paper clip: Read Ephesians 2:13. Hook the paper clip
to a keychain, zipper, or other item. Talk about how that resembles
being united with Christ.
- Staple: Read Romans 8:39. Talk about what a staple
does, and how that compares with God's love.
- Pebble: Read Matthew 7:24-25. Try to flatten the
pebble with your finger. Then set it out as a reminder that Jesus
is your rock and your firm foundation.
- Cotton ball: Read John 10:14-15. Use a permanent
marker to draw a face on your cotton ball. Move the cotton ball
around like a sheep, and make sheep noises. Talk about why sheep
- Crumpled paper: Read Philippians 3:8-9. Throw the
paper in the trash and call out reasons why Jesus is more valuable
than anything else.
- Heart sticker: Read Romans 5:8. Stick the sticker to
something dirty, like a shoe. Talk about why you think Jesus would
love us when we were still sinners.
- Thumbtack: Read Isaiah 53:5. Gently feel the tip of
the thumbtack. Talk about the pain Jesus endured to show his love
- Aluminum foil: Read Hebrews 1:3. Shine a flashlight on
the foil, and watch how it reflects off of it. Share ways you've
seen God's glory.
- Tissue: Read Hebrews 2:18. Write your sufferings on
the tissue. Then crumple it up and offer it to Jesus in a
- Rubber band: Read Ephesians 3:18-19. Wrap the rubber
band tight around a can. Then see how many other things you can fit
in the rubber band, such as forks, spoons, pens, pencils, and other
items. Talk about how God's love never runs out.
- String: Say, "Sometimes people tie string around their
fingers to help them remember something." Have everyone take turns
tying the string around their finger and naming three things
they've done wrong. When each person removes the string, read