A Special Service -- Find a student in each class who's
willing to say a short prayer during this church service for his or
her teacher -- from the nursery all the way through the adult
classes-and have kids and teachers participate in a special
volunteer appreciation Sunday.
• The day before the service, have kids make cookies, fudge, or
other special treats to put in a wrapped package for each
• During the service, have preselected kids walk into the sanctuary
and lead teachers to face the congregation.
Present each teacher with a gift and a package of goodies. Have
the preselected kids pray and thank God for their teachers.
Pamper Your Volunteers Sunday -- Honor your volunteers
with a pancake breakfast. Include your entire church, but have
special tables according to classes so teachers can eat with their
students and their families. Parents must sit with their kids so
teachers don't end up watching them at the breakfast in their
• Present each volunteer with either You Are Special or Because I
Love You by Max Lucado.
• Provide an opportunity for kids from each class to share
something they especially appreciate about their teachers, and how
their teachers have shown love to them over the past year.
• Have each class present its teacher with a "heart" gift, such as
a picture of a heart drawn by a child, chocolate hearts, or a mug
with a heart on it.
If you're interested in beginning a ministry of appreciation to
your volunteers, pick one thing to start with and see the
difference it makes with your volunteers. If you're already
committed to a ministry of appreciation to your volunteers, let me
give you a special thank you note-you are a gift to God! And what
you do makes a difference! cm
Lynda Freeman is the editor for 'Round About the Church in
TOMES TO SAY THANKS
Books are a wonderful choice as an appreciation gift for
volunteers. Often Christian bookstores will discount quantity
orders, so it never hurts to ask if special pricing can be
arranged. You can give each volunteer the same book, or try to
match book titles with specific volunteers for a more personal
touch. Here are my favorites.
• Be Patient, God Isn't Finished With Me Yet! (Honor Books),
$12.99; www.cookministries.com. This inspirational book helps
readers develop a passion for personal growth, discovering
potential, and fulfilling dreams.
• Safe in the Shepherd's Arms by Max Lucado (J. Countryman),
$10.99; www.jcountryman.com. Focusing on the 23rd Psalm, Lucado
helps readers release burdens, dispel fear, and trust in the
• Attitude 101 by John C. Maxwell (Thomas Nelson), $9.99,
www.thomasnelson.com. A great book for anyone in children's
ministry, this book helps readers grow positive attitudes in
themselves and their team members.
• Simple Prayers for a Powerful Life by Ted Haggard (Regal Books),
$8.99; www.gospellight.com. A step-by-step guide to prayer and
developing a dynamic relationship with God.
• Kids Talk About Heaven compiled by Eric Marshall (Crown
Publishing Group), $9.95, www.randomhouse.com. Bless your
volunteers with this humorous little book of children's opinions
• Heartfelt Thanks (Group Publishing), $9.99;
www.grouppublishing.com. A gift book full of uplifting, inspiring,
and refreshing anecdotes especially for volunteers.
• No Jesus, No Peace-Know Jesus, Know Peace by Two Seekers (Warner
Books), $10.95; www.twbookmark.com. This book provides simple,
biblical wisdom to apply to our daily lives.
• Laughter for a Woman's Soul (Zondervan Inspirio), $12.99;
www.inspiriogifts.com. Funny tales abound in this bright gift book
designed to rejuvenate the spirit.
• An Enemy Called Average by John Mason (Honor Books), $10.99;
.cookministries.com. Here's a practical book packed with wisdom,
encouragement, and "blunt honesty."
• The Traveler's Gift by Andy Andrews (Thomas Nelson), $19.99;
www.thomasnelson.com. Seven fundamental strategies for creating a
successful life are revealed in this tale of modern morality.
• Heavenly Mail: Words of Wisdom from God by Debbie Webb (Howard
Publishing), $11.99; www.howardpublishing.com. An inspirational
book that offers our earthly perspective on issues and the heavenly
wisdom found in God's words.
• Heavenly Mail: Words of Encouragement from God by Philis
Boltinghouse (Howard Publishing); $11.99; www.howardpublishing.com.
Refresh your volunteers' awareness of God's presence in their lives
with this encouraging book.
• A Touch of His Joy by Charles Stanley (Zondervan), $12.99;
www.zondervan.com. Devotions that illuminate the eternal qualities
of God's joy through words and photographs.
• Perfect Peace and Rest by Thomas Kinkade (Thomas Nelson), $11.99;
www.thomasnelson.com. A keepsake book filled with the artist's
paintings coupled with inspirational quotes and Scriptures.
VOLUNTEER APPRECIATION DINNER
Many churches sponsor a dinner to honor their volunteers. If you'd
like to learn more about planning and presenting a tremendous
volunteer appreciation dinner, go to www.cmmag.com for a volunteer