Begin your event with a potluck barbecue. Have someone run in
with a torch to light the grill! After eating, let the games begin.
Then, with great pomp and circumstance, give ribbons to everyone at
the end of the day.
Water Balloon Relays
- Balance balloons on tennis rackets, and race to a turn-around
line and back.
- Have each team member race with a water balloon between his or
- Form pairs. Place a water balloon between partners’ waists, and
challenge them to make their way to a line and back without
breaking their balloon.
Squirt Bottle Games
Use empty dish detergent bottles for these games:
- Squirt and Fill — Form two teams. Each team
stands in a semi-circle and chooses one person to be “It.” It holds
a small plastic bowl. Everyone else gets a squirt bottle filled
with water. On “go,” each team squirts water into its bowl. The
team with the fullest bowl wins.
- Soak Down — Each team uses shaving cream to
make a “hat” on one of their teammates. Players stand around this
person and wash away the foam with their squirt bottles. The team
with the first clean player wins.
- Wacky Volleyball — Use a regular volleyball
net or tie a rope across an open area. Swish a trash bag in the air
to fill it with air, then close it quickly and tie it with a
twist-tie. Use the bag as a volleyball until it deflates, then
- Centipede Obstacle Course — Teams line up,
and players place their hands on the waist of the person in front
of them. The centipede maneuvers through these obstacles: walk
along a 2×4 beam, stomp on balloon “ants,” step over a low fence,
and duck under a limbo rod.
Decathlon For Fun
Add these 10 wacky olympic events to your Summer Olympics:
Kids LOVE these Sunday School resources!
Measure the distance that contestants throw:
- Colored or labeled pingpong balls-two throws per person.
- Straws — two throws per person.
- Paper plates — two throws per person.
- Give each contestant a 2-foot piece of red licorice. Have
contestants bend at the waist and race to get all the licorice into
their mouths without using their hands.
- Contestants race 10 yards and put four saltine crackers in
their mouths. The first to chew and whistle wins.
- Contestants race 10 yards, pick up a squirt gun, and extinguish
a candle placed on a table 5 feet away.
- Contestants race under tables and back.
- Team members place their shoes in a pile. Then one at a time
each teammate races to the shoes, puts his or her shoes on, and
returns to the team.
- Each team has an empty 16-ounce bottle, a large sponge, and a
bucket of water. Each player races 10 yards to the bottle and
squeezes water from the sponge into the bottle.
Players return to the line and repeat until their team’s bottle
- Each teammate races 10 yards to a piece of bubble gum, blows a
bubble large enough to cover his or her nose when it breaks, and
returns to the line.
– Dan Haertl
Please keep in mind that phone numbers, addresses, and
prices are subject to change.