Countdown to Christmas
Countdown to Christmas Paper Chain Links
By Julie Dossantos
Permission to photocopy granted for local church use. Download PDF or use content below.
- Give someone in your family a hug, just because you love
- Offer to help your parents. For example, offer to set the
table. Help them make their bed, as well as your own.
- Tell your teacher "thank you" for teaching you. You can do this
verbally or perhaps by writing him/her a thank you note.
- Sing your favorite Christmas carol for your family. Invite them
to sing along with you!
- Read the Christmas story in the Bible with your family. Read
Luke 2:1-20. Talk about how exciting that time must have been.
- Before you go to bed tonight, think about three things that
happened in your day that you're thankful for.
- Go to the library and check out a Christmas movie to share with
your family and/or friends.
- Read about the Magi (or Wise Men) in Matthew 2:1-12. The Bible
says they felt overjoyed when the saw Jesus. Imagine how you would
have felt to have seen young Jesus.
- Pray. Thank God for the many blessings you've received. God is
your friend and loves you. You can tell God anything and
- Write a letter to a friend. Everyone loves receiving mail from
- With your parent's permission, call a family member who lives
far away just to say "hi" and to visit with them.
- Draw a picture of what Jesus means to you. Display it in your
room so that you will have it close to your heart.
- Take a walk outdoors, with your family, to enjoy the fresh air.
Take a good look around you at the many wonders that God has
- Play the "humming game." Hum a favorite Christmas song and have
your family take turns guessing which song it is. The person who
guesses correctly gets to hum next! (This is a fun game to play
in the car!)
- Pray for peace. Ask God to give you peace in your heart. Ask
God to give you wisdom when you make choices each and every
- Make a gift for a friend or family member. It can be as simple
as a hand-made card or drawing. Gifts that come from the heart are
the best gifts of all.
- Share your smiles today. Give your smiles away freely to your
classmates, your teachers, your friends, and your family. Smiles
- Think of a service project your family can do together. Perhaps
it's cleaning up litter in your neighborhood or school, or bringing
dinner to a neighbor.
- Write a thank-you note to someone who has made a positive
difference in your life and mail it to him or her. It could be a
teacher, a friend, your pastor, or relative. Let them know how much
they mean to you.
- Listen to music today and give thanks to God for the gift of
music! Dance, sing, and make a joyful noise!
- Do your chores without being asked. Think about other children
around the world who maybe do not have a bed to make, or toys to
put away, or clean clothes to fold. Consider how having work to do
is a blessing.
- Pray this prayer tonight before you go to bed: "Dear God, thank
you for sending your Son Jesus into the world. Help me to share
your love with everyone I meet. Amen."
- Consider starting a Journal. It can be a simple notebook from a
dollar store. In your Journal, you can write your ideas, your
dreams, and your prayers.
- Find a quiet, comfortable spot. Sit and rest for a few moments.
Take a few deep breaths. Thank God for sending Jesus. Invite him
into your heart.
- Smile and know that God loves you!