In this Pirate Event for Boys, invite children into a land where pirates sail and where they get to come face to face with the true King of kings…
A PIRATE’S LIFE FOR ME
A mysterious eye patch, bare feet, and a plastic sword can turn video game junkies into daring pirates in search of adventure and priceless booty. All boys have hearts that yearn for adventure and an innate love of action and mystery. Capitalize on these natural pursuits by encouraging boys to gain a sense of strength and courage that only God can provide. Host this swashbuckling fun dinner for boys to experience God’s wild love for them and learn about the strength and courage Jesus provides.
Enter if you dare: All young lads are invited to a pirate adventure on the high seas!
ONE MONTH BEFORE
- Ask people in your congregation to give Pirate Adventure invitations to boys they know in their neighborhood. Send invitations home with kids at community day care centers, preschools, and elementary schools. Consider placing an ad for your dinner in the community section of your local newspaper. Use parchment paper with burned edges to create invitations for boys in your ministry, and challenge them to invite friends from school, sports teams, and clubs. For a downloadable invitation, click here.
- Gather items to transform your meeting space into a pirate ship’s galley. Collect treasure chests, gold coins, faux jewels, and fine cotton to stretch for spider webs. Plastic spiders, mice, and bugs add to the gross factor that boys love. Purchase dark blue or black plastic table coverings to cover the ceiling, and hunt for wooden barrels to use as containers for your drinks or as decorations. Use battery-operated candles to light the room for dinner.
- Recruit first mates (table sponsors), a Pirate Captain emcee, a decorating and clean-up crew, a photographer, and adult pirates to serve grub.
- Plan your dinner menu and either order food from a caterer in advance or recruit table sponsors to shop for menu items. You may also ask your table sponsors to each donate one food item for the dinner.
Galley Grub Menu
Green Guts Punch
Hardy-Har Hot Dogs
Wavy Cheese Curls
Mutiny Macaroni and Cheese
Gory Gummy Worms in Chocolate Pudding
ONE DAY BEFORE
- Decorate for your dinner using brown wrapping paper or burlap as tablecloths and tin cans with jewels and coins flowing out of them for centerpieces. Use pie tins as plates and ripped muslin cloth for napkins. For an unbeatable atmosphere, add a fog machine and creaky-ship sound effects (you can find downloadable sound effects at sound-effects.com). Block off a room that’ll be your main deck by taping the door shut with silver masking tape and attaching locks requiring keys.
- Provide party favors such as stickers, miniature flashlights, or gold-foiled chocolate coins* for all pirates (orientaltrading.com).
- Set up a photo station with barrels, fishing nets, a treasure chest, and jewels overflowing. Decorate your entrance with a sign that says, “Enter…If You Dare.”