This 5-point checklist will help you cover all your bases so this Mother’s Day service is memorable for all the right reasons. Mother’s Day is right around the corner and now is the time to make sure you’re ready for the big day.
1. Amplified Attendance. Be prepared for an above average attendance. Surveys show that Mother’s Day is the third largest day for church attendance, behind only Christmas and Easter. Have extra chairs, snacks, and handouts ready for a bump in your turnout.
2. Meaningful Message. If you’re still looking for a way to tie Mother’s Day into your service, here are a couple of simple devotions you can use or modify to fit your needs. Thanks, Mom that brings Proverbs 1:8-9 to life. Give Mom a Hand was included in a list of uncomplicated Mother’s Day activities. If you are looking for an easy, quick devotion, this is for you!
3. Give Gifts. One of the Mother’s Day highlights at the church where I worked was handing out small devotional books or other small gifts to all the mothers in the room. We also gave out special prizes recognizing special mothers such as the one with the most kids or the newest mother. Giving out small tokens of appreciation is a great way to show mothers that you care. Also, remember that sometimes the perfect gift isn’t tangible.
4. Creative Crafts. In case you missed it, make sure to check out “5 Mother’s Day Ideas for Children’s Ministry.” You’ll find five super-fun crafts your kids will love to make and give to their moms.
5. Other’s Day. I intended for the “M” to be missing. Nearly 5 million children live in a household without their mother. Chances are you have a child who may have recently lost his or her mother, or is living in an arrangement without their mother. Be aware of these different situations. Help kids who have lost their mothers to remember and honor their mother. You can also recognize those people God puts in our lives to act as a mother figure. This day can be for them too!
What are you planning on doing for Mother’s Day? Share with us using the comment section below!